CONCISE OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY 11TH EDITION
This major new edition of the world-famous Concise Oxford English Dictionary provides an authoritative description of the English language. With instant access to over 240,000 words, phrases, and definitions, this program is ideal for anyone needing an up-to- date dictionary of current English on their PC for study, work, or home.
Cross-referencing, backtracking, cutting and pasting sections into your word processing document are just a few of the features you will find in this world-renowned best-selling dictionary. Containing meanings from street slang to scientific technology, this electronic dictionary will speed up your access to the English language.
- Covers current English from around the world, plus rare, historical, and archaic terms, as well as scientific and technical vocabulary
- Thousands of brand new words and senses from Oxford's unrivalled new words research
- Full text and advanced search features
- Detailed appendices providing useful information on topics such as Prime Ministers and Presidents, Kings and Queens of England & the UK, the Solar System, and Chemical Elements
- Spoken pronunciations for more than 50,000 headwords
- A Guide to Good English plus hundreds of extra notes offering advice on grammar, punctuation, spelling and word usage
- Interactive word games providing hours of learning and fun.
NEW OXFORD THESAURUS OF ENGLISH
Offering comprehensive and authoritative coverage of current English, the New Oxford Thesaurus of English is an ideal reference tool for use at home, school, and the office. Containing over 600,000 alternative and opposite words, this program will enrich your creative writing, essays, or letters, or simply your enjoyment of the English language.
- Instant access from Internet Explorer® or your Windows® application
- Simply double-click a word on your Web page or in your chosen Windows® application such as Word or Excel or even Outlook, and the various alternative words are instantly displayed in a pop-up window. A keyword helps you pinpoint the right group, and the closest and most useful alternatives are given firstUseful Replace function. Writing a letter or essay and can't think of the right word? Type in a similar word, double-click on it, select the appropriate alternative from the entry, and then use the Replace function to swap it straight over into your work
- From fossils to phobias, and actors to amphibians - over 450 lists provide information on a vast range of subjects
- Compel or coerce, inherent or intrinsic? Over 150 notes help you make the right choice between easily confused words
- No fuss and no waiting. The New Oxford Thesaurus of English automatically installs on your hard drive and runs in the background ready for whenever you need it
- Can be easily integrated with the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations, the Concise Oxford-Hachette French Dictionary, the Concise Oxford-Duden German Dictionary, and the Concise Oxford Spanish Dictionary.
OXFORD DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS 5TH EDITION
Whether you are preparing a speech, researching an essay, or simply looking to expand your conversational skills, the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations is the perfect reference guide for any home or office library.
Containing over 20,000 quotations from more than 3,000 authors, this collection provides a broad and up-to-date coverage of quotations drawn from every field of interest, from politics and science, to music, sport, and the arts. As well as quotations from traditional sources such as the Bible, English, and European literature, plus improved coverage of world ligions and classical Greek and Latin, this dictionary now covers areas such as proverbs and nursery rhymes.
Ranging from profound to compelling, serious to witty, these quotations will add spice to your writing and conversation, and will provide an excellent source of entertainment and inspiration for public speakers, writers, or anyone else who enjoys a sparkling line or spirited reply.
- Discover the finest lines from Shakespeare, Dante, the Bible, Winston Churchill, and hundreds of other writers, philosophers, political figures, and entertainers
- Enhanced accessibility search by keyword or themes such as advertising slogans, catchphrases, film lines, epitaphs, and prayers, to help you find the best quotes on your chosen subject
- Quotations are instantly displayed in a pop-up window
- No fuss and no waiting. The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations automatically installs on your hard drive and runs in the background ready for whenever you need it
- Can be easily integrated with the New Oxford Thesaurus of English, the Concise Oxford-Hachette French Dictionary, the the Concise Oxford-Duden German Dictionary, and the Concise Oxford Spanish Dictionary.