An iconic military classic roars in to life in Flight Simulator X.
The first Harrier took to the air in October 1961. It has remained a unique and unrivalled aircraft in a wide range of combat roles ever since.
The unique vectored thrust engine and nozzle arrangement has remained basically unchanged throughout the life of the type right through to the final versions.
The first production types were designated GR1 and were delivered to RAF squadrons as attack fighter-bombers in mid-1967. The Royal Navy was also interested in the Harrier and ordered a special sea-going version called the Sea-Harrier FRS1 or more commonly, “SHAR”.
Basically a GR1/3, the FRS1 differed in that it had a conventional pointed nose with concealed radar and as such is a cleaner design in that area.
The GR3 is the first of the type to see combat action and most memorably flew with the RAF partnering Royal Navy FRS1s during the Falklands conflict of 1982.
The Harrier went on to be adopted by the US Navy and Air Force and was continually upgraded with very sophisticated avionics and weapons systems and designated AV8-A. Two-seat trainers were also built and later models were bought by the Spanish Navy.
Recently retired from active service in the UK, the Harrier must surely take its place in aviation history as one of the great aircraft advances of the modern age.
- Fully detailed, accurate exteriors depicting the famous GR3 (RAF) and FRS1 (RN) from the Falklands War period.
- Many detailed animations including retracting eyelids over the glass radar nose (GR3), jet nozzles, flaps and all flight control surfaces and landing gear.
- Engine vents and central fan rotor are also animated correctly.
- Animated windshield wiper is controlled from cockpit and interacts with real time weather conditions.
- Selectable load-outs for weapons and external tankage.
- Selectable re-fuelling probes (for visuals).
- Animated pilot in fully detailed ejection seat.
- Full ground set including chocks, flight flags and engine intake covers.
- Fully modeled, switchable ground power unit trailer
- Accurate weathered texture sets depicting various frontline and training units of the RAF and Royal Navy, low and high-vis schemes used in the Falklands War.
- Fully detailed accurate Harrier cockpit includes working nozzle control.
- Fully featured Virtual Cockpit with illuminated HUD and 3D gauges including engine set and tank selectors, navigation gauges, radios and weapons loadouts. Fuel dump function is also included.
- Stunning night lighting effects in the cockpit with realistic instrument and switch back-lighting.
- Fully functional Head Up Display: airspeed, barometric altitude, magnetic heading, flight path vector, radio-altitude, navigation information, target designation box, alert messages, G load factor, Mach number, bank angle.
- Advanced radar showing AI traffic and other player aircrafts (if used in a multi-player session). It features three scanning modes and target information. The locked target can be displayed on the HUD.
- Many detailed animations and a full set of functional switches and knobs. Just about everything in the Harrier cockpit is switchable and all controls are accurately reproduced for an immersive experience!
- A unique flight model has been developed for this aircraft which allows highly realistic simulation of the vertical takeoff and landing VTOL characteristics of the Harrier. Even the famous “airshow bow” can be replicated!
- Like the real Harrier, an "autoSTOL" lever has been added. It pre-sets the nozzles to a predetermined angle for an automatic selection of different settings: VTOL, VSTOL STOL and conventional takeoff and landing. No longer do the pilots have to select a setting for the nozzles (although they can if they wish). This brings incredible maneuverability, just like the real thing!
- VTOL, STOL and conventional flights can be carried out with complete authenticity thanks to brand new programming technology replicating the exact auto nozzle/flap settings. No other simulation technique can replicate this as accurately!
- The flight dynamics are true to type and require skill to master. This Harrier simulation is demanding yet very rewarding!
- An authentic sound set is included.
- Special effects include exhaust smoke which changes with nozzle position and ground effect effects to make the visuals highly realistic.
- Cannon gun effect, fireable from the cockpit, for the ADEN cannon pods.
Four liveries BAe Harrier GR3:
1.1 Squadron RAF as operated in the South Atlantic during the Falklands War 1982
2.4 Squadron RAF as operated in Gutersloh Germany, 1992
3.3 Squadron RAF Wittering
4.Dirty' wartime version with no markings
Three liveries FRS1 Sea Harrier:
1.899 NAS Royal Navy 1982 Falklands conflict
2.Indian Navy SHAR FRS51
3.801 NAS Royal Navy Blue/White schemeA full paint kit is also provided.
Microsoft Flight Simulator FSX with SP1/SP2 (or Acceleration Pack)
Windows XP - Vista 32bit – Seven 32/64bit Edition
Processor – Intel Core 2 Duo (2x 2666MHz) or equivalent (Core 2 Quad recommended)
DX9 Graphic Card with 256Mb (512Mb recommended)
Hard drive space: 190Mb